With the most-watched television event in Canada now just two days away, Bell Media revealed today its slate of on-air creative to support its original Canadian independent productions set to air during the network's exclusive Canadian coverage of SUPER BOWL XLIX. Conceived, developed, and produced by the award-winning Bell Media Agency, the on-air creative showcases Bell Media's original Canadian productions during the biggest promotional platform on Canadian television.
Last year, Bell Media dedicated nearly four dozen spots, totalling 12 minutes of air time, promoting its original Canadian series in SUPER BOWL XLVIII, with a value of more than $4 million. SUPER BOWL XLVIII was the most-watched broadcast of the year in Canada with an audience of 7.9 million viewers.
"With so many eyes on a ratings powerhouse like the Super Bowl, it's the best opportunity of the broadcast year to showcase our original independent productions to Canadians," said Phil King, President – CTV, Sports, and Entertainment Programming. "A mix of dynamic and creative promos, all produced in-house, will engage viewers with an entertaining array of spots designed to increase audiences for these original series."
For the fourth time in five years, CTV will utilize the massive Super Bowl audience as a sampling opportunity for a Canadian series. Immediately following the conclusion of the big game, CTV debuts the Season 2 premiere of hit series MASTERCHEF CANADA. This is the second year in a row that CTV has used the Super Bowl to bolster MASTERCHEF CANADA, which after delivering an audience of nearly 2 million viewers last year, went on to become the first and only homegrown series in more than a decade to land in the Top 10 list of the most-watched television series in Canada for A25-54 and A18-49 last season. In addition to MASTERCHEF CANADA, original Canadian series that benefitted from the massive audience of the biggest sporting event on television are FLASHPOINT, as well as MOTIVE and SAVING HOPE, currently two of Canada's most-watched original dramas.
All promotional spots were created in-house by the award-winning Bell Media Agency. Highlights include:
- The original BITTEN spot for Space, which was shot on location in Toronto and features nine actors, an artificial forest, a fog machine, and one gallon of fake blood. On social media, this original Space promo has already reached 246,528 fans and received a total of 8,643 likes, comments, and shares.
- The 19-2 "critics" spot, incorporating media reviews for the ongoing second season of the critically acclaimed series.
- The MASTERCHEF CANADA spot, which cooks up a tantalizing appetite for the post-SUPER BOWL premiere of the second season of the hit culinary series.
- With impressive imagery using the latest camera technology, the AIRSHOW promo captures the essence of this all-new Canadian Discovery series while underscoring the heroes of the most dangerous part-time profession on earth. Already, the :30 promo has reached a social audience of more than 1 million users.
- Many of the Canadian spots will be used to promote catch-up opportunities for Canadian series on CraveTV, including SAVING HOPE, MOTIVE (prior to its Season 3 debut on CTV March 8), and ORPHAN BLACK (returning to Space for Season 3 April 18).
- Bell Media will also feature two on-air spots for Toronto startup Hubub during the Super Bowl: a 30-second informational ad about the new digital platform for exploring and discussing interests, and a 15-second commercial directing fans on Sunday to a special hubub (hubub.com/biggameads) hosted by Bell Media's TheLoop.ca, featuring this year's highly-anticipated Super Bowl ads from around the world.
CTV's extensive live coverage of SUPER BOWL XLIX from the University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona includes six consecutive hours of pre-game programming with coverage beginning at 12 noon ET/9 a.m. PT