SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- KRCB-TV (www.krcb.org), the public television station, today announced a three-year extended partnership with NHK WORLD TV (www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/) to continue broadcasting Japanese and Asian news and lifestyle programming to more than 2.5 million homes in San Francisco’s Bay Area through the dedicated over-the-air channel (Channel 22.3) and on Comcast Xfinity (Channel 202). In addition, the Sonoma County, California-based organization will be one of the first PBS stations in the country to broadcast the stand-alone 24-hour, English-language television channel in high-definition (HD). KRCB-TV is also among the early adopters of technology allowing broadcast of two HD channels plus a third SD channel.
Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the network is produced by NHK, Japan’s sole public, independent broadcaster, and distributed worldwide by Japan International Broadcasting Inc. (JIB), a subsidiary of NHK. KRCB-TV initially launched a one-year partnership with NHK WORLD TV in November 2013.
“At KRCB, we have seen how much our audience appreciates the high-quality international news and cultural content that NHK WORLD TV provides,” said Nancy Dobbs, president & CEO, KRCB Public Television. “When the opportunity came to continue our relationship, we jumped at the chance, knowing our viewers would be pleased to continue watching such diverse programming through 2017. And now that the network will be broadcast in HD, the experience will be better than ever.”
NHK WORLD TV offers a variety of informative and entertaining news, technology, business, food, travel and lifestyle programming around the clock, featuring some of the region’s top talent. Programs include:
- “NEWSLINE” – Journalists from around the world report news and breaking news, including the latest in politics, business, technology and culture in Asia. Regular features come from a total of 30 news bureaus, including Beijing, London and Paris. In the United States, New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles offer different perspectives on what's happening. Well-known anchors include Shery Ahn, Yuko Aotani, Catherine Kobayashi and Gene Otani.
- “Asia This Week” - Minori Takao provides a weekly update of economic and social developments in Japan and the rest of Asia, covering the cultures, economies and politics of more than four billion people.
Business and Technology
- “ASIA BIZ FORECAST” – Asia’s top economists and commercial strategists sit down with host Yuko Fukushima to discuss the region’s hottest companies and changing market trends, as well as deliver financial insights.
- “ASIAN VOICES” - NHK's senior commentator, Aiko Doden, hosts Asia's leading academics, economists and politicians, who provide perspectives on key global and regional issues.
- “RISING ARTIST” - Young and promising Japanese artists exhibit their exceptional talents as they pursue international success.
- “Dining with the chef” – Culinary artists, including Tatsuo Saito, introduce Japanese cuisine and the overall harmony of various ingredients.
- “DESIGN TALKS” – Stylists and designers take viewers on an intellectual and aesthetic voyage, exploring art and philosophy in Japanese designs from antiques to technology, commodities and fashion. Hosted by Andrea Pompilio.
- “ASIA MUSIC NETWORK” – Music specialists introduce viewers to the latest pop music from all over Asia.
- “cool japan” - A panel of international special guests examine the appeal and secrets to the hip cultural aspects of Japan. Hosted by Risa Stegmayer and Shoji Kokami.
“KRCB-TV has been a valuable partner to us and we have enjoyed working with them over the last six months,” said Akinori Hashimoto, head, NHK WORLD Department. “We are humbled by the success of NHK WORLD TV in the San Francisco Bay Area and are thrilled to be able to continue to share our diverse news and cultural programs with the region’s viewers over the next several years.”
The channel also offers an assortment of groundbreaking documentaries and specials, including “Side by Side,” “TOMORROW,” “Document 72 Hours” and “NHK Documentary.” You can view the entire program schedule at http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/schedule/index.html.
KRCB-TV also broadcasts “NEWSLINE” daily on its main channel, along with other NHK WORLD TV programs on a regular basis. NHK WORLD TV is currently available in 270 million households across 150 countries and regions.
About Japan International Broadcasting, Inc.
Japan International Broadcasting Inc. (JIB), a subsidiary of NHK, is responsible for the worldwide distribution of the HD English language news/lifestyle channel “NHK WORLD TV,” as well as the Japanese language channel “NHK WORLD Premium.” Currently, the two are broadcast around the world on three international and 20 domestic satellites and reach households, hotels and others via DTH, cable, IPTV and terrestrial broadcast.
About KRCB Public Television
KRCB Public Television broadcasts from studios in Rohnert Park, California on digital channels 22.1, 22.2 & 22.3 and is seen over-the-air throughout much of the San Francisco Bay Area. KRCB’s main channel is also seen on Channels 722 and 22 via Comcast Cable, and on Channel 22 via AT&T U-verse, DISH and DirecTV satellite services across the entire San Francisco Bay Area. If you enjoy this quality programming, please support KRCB at http://www.krcb.org/. To view KRCB press releases, go to http://krcb.org/pressroom
Find us on Facebook! KRCB TV 22
Follow us on Twitter @KRCBTV22